Postdoctoral researcher (Postdoc)
No. of Position(s)
- condensed matter physics
- inorganic chemistry
- materials science
According to the standard
Suwon, South Korea
The position can be extended up to three years with an annual contract.
Starting date: 1st March 2021
Prof. Sungkyun Choi
- Ph.D. in condensed matter physics, inorganic chemistry, materials science, or a related discipline completed within the last five years.
- Familiarity with crystal growths and characterizations, neutron or x-ray scattering to study quantum materials
- Solid background in magnetism, solid-state chemistry, condensed matter physics, low-temperature physics.
- Strong record of publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at scientific meetings
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with fluent English
We plan to hire three postdoctoral researcher who are specialized in the following areas.
- Sample growths using various experimental techniques (such as flux growths, vapour transport methods, traveling solvent floating zone methods) and characterizations (such as XRD, MPMS, PPMS, EDX)
- Neutron and x-ray scattering measurements
- The data analysis using relevant software and computation tools
Ability to work efficiently in a collaborative working environment in solving scientifically challenging problems
Main role of the candidate is
- Synthesize quantum magnets in the form of powder and single crystals, followed by detailed characterizations at the home laboratory
- Perform neutron and x-ray scattering measurements and analyze the data.
- Publish scientific papers and present results from the research at domestic and international conferences.
We aim to make a breakthrough discovery in condensed matter physics by investigating novel quantum phenomena of quantum magnetism using neutron and x-ray scattering techniques.
Experiments will be mainly conducted at ISIS and Diamond in the UK and possibly other neutron and synchrotron facilities such as ORNL, NSLS-II, APS in the USA, HANARO, PAL in Korea, and in other facilities.
Research experience on complementary techniques such as Raman, Infrared, Terahertz (including under high field) will be beneficial, but not required.
How to Apply?
For the Postdoctoral Fellowship, Please send the required documents in a single pdf file by e-mail
An individual interview will be arranged after the revision of the application.
- A cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae including the list of publications
- A statement of research interests and research plans (2 pages maximum)
- Names and e-mail addresses of three references: the letters will be requested later
Deadline for applying
The application will be reviewed until all positions are occupied.
The Institute of Basic Science is ambitiously established by the Korean government to boost fundamental research in basic science, recently featured by the journal Nature. The YSF team is part of the Center for Integrated Nanostructure Physics (CINAP) located at SungKyunKwan University (SKKU: one of the top research-oriented universities in Korea), whose research focuses on low-dimensional quantum material.
The YSF team will work independently to solve the latest quantum magnetism problems and could also collaborate with other teams at the Center. Our position represents an excellent opportunity to examine quantum matter in a stimulating multidisciplinary environment at IBS-CINAP with a wide range of cutting-edge research infrastructure by collaborating with theorists.
- A wide range of research projects are currently available.
- An opportunity for alternative military service (for those Korean who need to do his military service) can be discussed.