Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 107,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries
Senior Scientist – R&D
At Abbott, we’re committed to helping people live their best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we’ve brought new products and technologies to the world — in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals — that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 103,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 160 countries we serve.
Diagnostic testing is a compass, providing information that helps in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of a range of health conditions.
Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools give you accurate, timely information to better manage your health. We’re empowering smarter medical and economic decision making to help transform the way people manage their health at all stages of life. Every day, more than 10 million tests are run on Abbott’s diagnostics instruments, providing lab results for millions of people.
Abbott Molecular has an opening in its Des Plaines, IL site for a Senior Scientist – (Postdoc), within its R&D team- who would conceive, plans, designs, and conducts advanced independent research. Investigates and develops new procedures with direction provided by project goals and experimental design, provides technical direction and feedback to others. Interacts with other groups and shares information; participates in team
- Defines project goals and is responsible for timely project completion.
- Responsible for own Redbook documentation, and for the accuracy, quality, and timeliness of experimental results.
- Summarizes data and analyzes results, independently formulates conclusions, and determines future experiments.
- Actively participates in routine maintenance, lab safety; may assume roles of responsibility, such as training or document control .
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system.
- Understands and consistently follows documented procedures.
- Determines priorities for experiments.
- Applies quantitative methods: analyzes data, evaluates results, forms
- conclusions, and provides/implements process or document improvements.
- Independently designs and executes a series of experiments to test hypotheses related to project outcomes.
- Applies advance scientific knowledge to projects.
- Utilizes DOE where appropriate.
- May assist in the design of experiments for others.
- Identifies technical alternatives from literature review.
- Applies basic computer skills (includes word processing, spreadsheets, instrumentation-related and Abbott network systems).
- Produces reports and documents utilizing advanced writing skills.
- Utilizes multiple analytical instruments; trains others in their operation.
- Recognizes and resolves technical problems.
Education/ Skills/ Experience:
- Knowledge of regulations and standards affecting IVDs and Biologics.
- Ph.D. in a life or physical science with 2+ years research or industrial Or B.S./M.S. degree with research experience sufficient to demonstrate
- Prepares results of projects internally and may present externally.
- Reviews, evaluates, and critiques presentations for others.
- Presents complex technical data to large and diverse groups.
- Trains others on the theoretical and practical basis of techniques, processes and assays.
- Participates in project planning, updates, and process improvements.
- May generate new product ideas consistent with division strategy.
- Prepares and aligns goals with manager’s goals.
- May coach lower-level scientists (e.g., presentation skills, negotiation skills, decision-making, and contingency planning).
- Influences decision-making through negotiation, addressing conflict, and by
- building (productive) working relationships across functional areas.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development , with on-boarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities