Vir Biotechnology is a clinical-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Our current development pipeline consists of five product candidates targeting SARS-CoV-2, hepatitis B virus, influenza A, human immunodeficiency virus and tuberculosis.
THIS SCIENTIST I POSTDOC SCIENTIST POSITION IS OFFERED BY CENTER OF EXCELLENCE FOR TRANSLATIONAL RESEARCH PROGRAM AND IS ANTICIPATED TO HAVE A PRIMARY EMPHASIS ON AUTOPHAGY, INTERFERON AND NOROVIRUS BIOLOGY.
At Vir Biotechnology, we see the world differently — we envision a world without infectious disease. We cannot further our mission without dedicating ourselves to training and inspiring the next generation of scientific leaders, through both internally developing our employees and providing an opportunity for postdoctoral fellowship research training. This position offers an exciting opportunity for talented scientists to join our teams at Vir, perform cutting-edge research under the guidance of our world class scientists and mentors, answer fundamental scientific questions that will lead to drug discovery and to participate in cross functional teams that will help foster understanding of the drug discovery and development process. We want to train people who will make significant contributions to the future of science, regardless of whether they chose industry, government, non-profit organizations, or academia as a future career.
- Investigate host-pathogen interaction, with an emphasis on understanding autophagy and norovirus biology, to develop novel therapeutics or prophylactic medicines.
- Design and perform laboratory studies to identify cellular and immune mechanisms responsible for prevention and control of diverse infections.
- Plan and execute cutting-edge CRISPR screening experiments to identify novel targets for host-directed therapeutics or prophylactic medicines.
- Apply in-depth knowledge of scientific methods, both quantitative and qualitative.
- Perform scientific research of considerable scope and complexity.
- Maintain accurate records of experimental details and results.
- Work as a key part of a team with broad expertise and shared goals.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A doctoral-level degree with a strong background in some combination of microbiology, virology, cell biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, immunology and/or computational biology.
- Publications in well-respected peer-reviewed journals.
- Must be a creative critical thinker.
- Experience in studies of innate immunity, autophagy, noroviruses, other viruses and/or CRISPR screening technology is a plus
- Applicants should have a PhD, MD or equivalent degree in a relevant field prior to their appointment.
- 0-2 years Post PhD experience
- Short-Term Employees (STE) will have offers similar to Full-Time Employees with 2 year term limits.
- The employment contract can be extended beyond two years.
- You will be eligible for Vir Benefits.
- Vir will not sponsor applicants for work visas in connection with this position
Vir is a company with a compelling mission, “A World Without Infectious Disease”. We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our business. This is reflected in our ongoing commitment to creating an environment focused on equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and inspired to contribute at their best, we will collectively deliver amazing results.
Vir is committed to attracting and employing a diverse workforce to strengthen our values and mission. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
The Human Resources team manages the recruitment and employment process for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that Recruiters not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.