Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 107,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries
ABOUT ABBOTT DIAGNOSTICS:
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations — with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
Our location in Abbott Park (Lake Bluff), IL currently has an opportunity for a Postdoctoral Scientist.
This is a post-doctoral fellowship and will last up to three years.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
This is a newly-created, full-time Postdoctoral Scientist position. Activities and responsibilities will include:
- Developing novel methodologies and assays for next generation diagnostic applications
- Conceive, plan, design, and conduct advanced studies
- Investigate and develop new procedures/technologies
- Act as independent contributor or lead scientist and interact/coordinate with other groups and functions on project development and improvement
- Designs and conducts experiments, accomplishes established milestones and summarizes data, interprets, results and draws conclusions.
Evaluates data using analytical methodologies to achieve results.
- Optimize assay conditions, improve product design and related processes and procedures, and troubleshoot technical issues
- Recommends options for future experiments.
- Presents scientific observations to others.
- Trains lower-level scientists.
- Expertise and Problem Solving: Identifies technical alternatives.
- Utilizes multiple analytical instruments.
- Anticipates, recognizes and resolves technical problems.
- Project Planning: Participates in project planning, updates and process improvements.
- Implements project plans comprehending resource, budget, facility and regulatory requirements.
- Translates top-level goals to specific project level goals for individual team member.
- Establishes and reviews complex plans for multiple projects or activities.
- Scientific Leadership: Submits ideas for inventions; publishes; innovates through patent filings and/or scientific publications.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Ph.D. in microbiology, molecular biology, biochemistry , or related disciplines.
- Basic computer skills
- Advanced Knowledge of multiple analytical instruments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and proven ability to work in a team setting
- Strong molecular and biochemical background
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development , with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- Pension Plan
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities