Application is currently ongoing for postdoc positions in measuring predictive information in living cells in AMOLF research institute Amsterdam.
Remarkable recent experiments have demonstrated that single-celled organisms are able to respond not only to experienced changes in the past but also to expected changes that have yet to occur – evidently exploiting temporal correlations in the environment to predict the future. But how reliably can a cell make such predictions, which are the mechanisms that implement them, and what are their fitness benefits?
In this project, candidates will address these questions experimentally, using single-cell microscopy to precisely quantify (in bits) the number of predictive information cells extracts from past experiences. Their measurements will quantify information transmission and prediction in the E. coli chemotaxis system – a cell signaling network for which sufficient quantitative knowledge exists to address further questions about mechanistic origins and functional benefits of prediction. They will collaborate closely with the theory group of Pieter Rein ten Wolde (AMOLF), using concepts from information theory and stochastic thermodynamics to design and interpret experiments.
Salary (commensurate with prior performance and experience) plus highly competitive incentives.
AMOLF assists any new foreign postdoc with housing and visa applications and compensates their transport costs and furnishing expenses.
- AMOLF seeks candidates with a strong background in experimental physics or quantitative biology and an interest in the biophysics of cellular information processing.
- Prior experience with microscopy is preferred.
- He/she must meet the requirements for a doctor-degree and must have research experience in a non-Dutch academic environment.
Interested applicants should send the following documents for their application
- Motivation letter on why they want to join the group (maximum 1 page)
- It is important to know why applicants want to join the This means that application will only be considered if it entails applicants motivation letter.
To apply, click here
Application Deadline: May 26, 2021.
For more information visit the official site.