- The Ph.D. title obtained less than 7 (seven) years ago
- The fellowship requires full-time dedication to the project
Skills and competence
Ph.D. in Earth System Sciences, Engineering (Forest, Civil, Environmental, Agronomy), Ecohydrology, Hydrology, Soil Science, Ecology or related fields.
- Previous experience in the field, demonstrated by the CV and related publications
- In-depth knowledge about the soil-root-plant-atmosphere functioning, shown by the CV and related publications
- Practical expertise in R, Phyton, or similar
- Remote sensing skills or hydrological modeling not required but desirable
- Demonstrated ability to publish peer-reviewed papers (in English), effective oral communication skills (in Portuguese), and work and participate in a collaborative team
- strong interpersonal skills and fluency in English will be a bonus
- full-time dedication for 12 months, starting in March 2021, and the possibility of extension for another 12 months
- Availability for extended (1-2 months) field campaigns in the Brazilian Central and Northeast regions
The NEXUS project is inter-and transdisciplinary research towards Environmental Sustainability based on the Water-Energy-Agriculture Nexus approach. Using sustainability indicators based on the SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals), the NEXUS project intends to characterize, diagnose, and project future development scenarios of the Brazilian Caatinga and Savannah biomes. More details about this project can be found at http://www.ccst.inpe.br/projetos/nexus-caminhos-para-a-sustentabilidade/.
This position involves field and laboratory activities to determine the water-use efficiency (WUE) of different plant species in both biomes – Brazilian Caatinga and Savannah. The WUE will be used to indicate the plant species’ adaptation in the dominant climate pattern of both tropical ecoregions. The project will also aim to investigate plants’ main strategies to deal with water limitation of the environments, and projections of changes in the ecosystems face the climate and global environmental changes.
This position offers the chance to work with an inter-and transdisciplinary team, publish in national and international journals, and present the results in national and international conferences.
Application Process: To ensure full consideration, qualified candidates must send a cover letter, CV, and two referee letters (all files in pdf format) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. All requested information must be submitted to the above email for your application to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Selected applicants will be contacted for an interview. The deadline for sending the application is December 20, 2020.
The vacancy is open to Brazilians and foreigners. The candidate selected will receive a Postdoctoral Scholarship of FAPESP in the amount of R $ 7,373.10 monthly and Technical Reserve equivalent to 15% of the scholarship’s annual value to cover expenses directly related to the research activity.
Questions and applications must be sent by email to Fabielle Motta (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a copy to Prof. Laura S. Borma (email@example.com), identifying with “Project FAPESP-NEXUS postdoc” in the subject line.