Reference No.: FG 2020/20
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie (HZB) operates the synchrotron radiation facility BESSY II as well as the Metrology Light Source (MLS) in Berlin-Adlershof for an international user community. The Institute for Accelerator Physics and the Department Accelerator Operation operate and drive the development of these user facilities. More than hundred technicians, engineers and physicists work in a creative environment to guarantee reliable and highest quality user operation of up to 5000h per year and to advance the capabilities of the accelerators to serve the rising demands of our users. Furthermore, HZB is preparing a conceptual design study to propose upgrades to BESSY II and MLS.
- Designing the digital twin software stack for BESSY II and MLS
- Taking the lead in keeping the design of the software stack modern and consistent in the team of software engineers and physicists building up the digital twin
- Team with control group engineers for proper mapping to the EPICS control system
- Support the digital twin in the control room and participate in digital twin evaluation shifts
- Contribute to the Conceptual Design Reports for BESSY III and MLS II
- PhD in informatics, computer science or equivalent experience
- Proven experience with developing
scientific computation, data processing or communication software within a team for at least three years
- Experience with software programming using design patterns
- Proficiency in Python, C++ or Java for at least three years
- Experience with real time environments, large scale control systems, middle ware design and development, configuration databases or product life cycle developments will be considered as an advantage
- Result oriented and problem solving mindset while being a team player with good English skills in speech and writing. Practical knowledge of the German language will be considered as an advantage
- An attractive and secure workplace with plenty of room and excellent opportunities for professional and personal development
- Challenging tasks in a highly attractive working environment with a wide range of high-end technologies and high-precision measuring instruments, including participation in exciting and future-oriented projects
- A collegial, interdisciplinary work environment with specialists in hardware-related programming, electronics, high-frequency engineering, cryogenics / mechanics / vacuum technology etc.
- Flexible working times for an excellent work-life balance, including home office and remote work options
- Extensive social benefits, e.g. company pension scheme, company health management, company sports club, etc.
What we offer
Fixed term contract for 36 months . The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
We particularly welcome applications from women. Preference will be given to handicapped applicants provided equal suitability.
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application via our application management system by 21.12.2020. For reasons of data protection regulations, we are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach us by email or by mail in the application process.
For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.