Post-Doctoral Research Associate (4 Positions) – Plant Science – Research– 2000000111
Regular Full-time, Pay Grade 00
Postdoctoral Research Associates (4 positions)
in Plant Transformation and Synthetic Biology
Four (4) postdoctoral positions in plant genetic engineering are available starting immediately in the laboratory of C. Neal Stewart, Jr. at the University of Tennessee in the Department of Plant Sciences. Positions are grant-funded. Postdocs will primarily be responsible for improving the genetic engineering of plants and altering DNA for more effective gene expression and trait development in crops, which include a subset of the following models, potato, soybean, canola, grasses such as switchgrass, and duckweed. The postdocs will improve the genetics of plants to help address real world challenges in agriculture and the environment. Collaborations will include scientists and staff within and outside of the university. Postdoc applicants who are interested in high throughput screening of DNA in plant cells using automation and robotics as well as synthetic biology are especially encouraged to apply. Postdocs give presentations, write reports and write manuscripts intended for publication.
The initial appointment is for two years with a mandatory 6-month probationary period, with a possibility of renewal for up to four years based on performance and continued grant funding. All postdocs in the lab are expected to generate at least one first-author paper per year from their UT work.
Salary is based on experience and qualifications according to UT policy. In addition, UT provides an excellent fringe benefits package. Knoxville is located near the beautiful Smoky Mountains, has a low cost of living, and a moderate climate. Successful candidates will have an appointment also in the Center for Agricultural Synthetic Biology (agsynbiocenter.org).
- Applicants should have a PhD prior to joining the lab in plant biology or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience (e.g., publications) in molecular biology, cell biology, and/or biotechnology is required.
- Preference will be given to applicants with strong publication records, considerable drive and motivation, and excellent problem-solving skills.
- Further, the positions require excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work in a highly interdisciplinary team-based environment.
- The postdocs will work in a team environment and will help train junior scientists and students
Interested applicants should apply at http://hr.utk.edu/recruitment/. Applicants should submit: 1) a cover letter that includes research experience, interests and possible starting date, 2) current CV, and 3) the names, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of three references.