PhD Position in Environmental Engineering University of Oulu in Finland
JOB DESCRIPTION The University of Oulu is an international scientific community, with 15,000 students and approximately 3,000 employees. By combining multidisciplinary research and education, high-level infrastructure and wide cooperation with international research and educational institutes, companies and the public sector it has created a significant research and innovation hub of “Science with an Arctic Attitude”.
The Water, Energy and Environmental Engineering Research Unit focuses on research in water and wastewater purification processes, resources recovery and environmental engineering, applied and environmental microbiology as well as on hydrology and water resources engineering. Our research unit is a multinational group working in a modern, up-to-date research environment with four research groups, one of which is the Water Protection and Ecological Engineering Research Group.
The Water, Energy and Environmental Engineering Research Unit, University of Oulu, is opening a position for a PhD candidate for research and development on bioreactors as nature-based solutions to remove nitrogen and also other components, such as metals and emergent pollutants in different kind of water purification purposes. The selected candidate will work in Water Protection and Ecological Engineering Research Group. We are looking for talented and motivated candidates aspiring to become world-leading scientists. The selected applicant will work on research tasks in different a project such as “Functionality of the woodchip bioreactor in different environments as part of water treatment, removal of nitrogen, metals, microplastics and medical residues (HakBio)”, funded by MVTT foundation; “Purification of nitrogen and heavy metal containing runoff using hybrid purification systems in arctic areas (TypArkt)” funded by ERDF and “Optimization and modelling of nitrogen processes in woodchip bioreactors” funded by MVTT foundation. The tasks include field- and laboratory work. The candidate is expected to apply for external funding together with thesis supervisors and the research group
You should be a passionate, early stage researcher, wishing to enrich your personal development and career potential through interdisciplinary and international research coupled with high level training.
- Master’s degree in environmental or civil engineering, water and sanitation engineering, water resources engineering, soil science (or equivalent degree)
- Knowledge about passive water purification systems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills of English and Finnish language skills (basics) will be seen useful (communication with stakeholders)
- Capability to do field work independently. Driving license is seen as an advantage
- Students in the final year of their degree can apply if graduating before June 1st, 2021
- Experience in water flow and contaminant transport process modelling is beneficial
- Ability to in a work quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative way
The salary is in accordance with the University salary system (for teaching and research personnel) level 2-4 of the national demand level chart for teaching and research staff. In addition to the basic salary, supplementary salary will be given for personal achievement and performance, the sum rising to a maximum of 50 % of the basic salary level. Typical salary is thus 2100-2500 €, depending on the candidate’s qualification and experience.
How to apply
Applications, together with all relevant enclosures, should be submitted using the electronic application form by April 18th, 2021. The eligible applicants fitting best will be invited to remote interview. All applicants will be notified when the selection process is completed.
The following documents must be attached to the application:
- Cover / motivation letter (1-2 pages) expressing the applicant’s interest, experience and suitability for the position
- Most recent CV (with education/previous degrees obtained, prior work/research experience, information on received research funding, publications, if applicable)
- Relevant degree certificate(s), if not available at the time of application, a statement from the applicant and their supervisor(s)/University regarding the expected completion date.
- Transcript of records (list of courses and grades)
- Contact information of two senior/experienced researchers who may be asked to give a statement on the candidate.
The duration of the position is 2 years, beginning on 1st of June 2021 (or as soon as possible thereafter). A six-month trial period will be effective in the beginning of a contract.
For further information, please contact:
Dr. Heini Postila ([email protected])
Group Leader of Water Protection and Ecological Engineering Anna-Kaisa Ronkanen ([email protected])
Welcome to Join Our Social Networks So You Never Miss Updates
Also, Invite and Share with your Friends
|FOLLOW AND LIKE FACEBOOK PAGE||CLICK HERE|
|JOIN FACEBOOK GROUP||CLICK HERE|
|JOIN WhatsApp GROUP||CLICK HERE|