PhD and Postdoc positions in Applied Mathematics
The Chair in Applied Analysis – Alexander von Humboldt Professorship led by Enrique Zuazua at FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg is looking for outstanding candidates to fill several PhD and Postdoctoral positions:
Focused on hyperbolic and parabolic dynamics on networks and random batch methods for control
Where: FAU – Friedrich-Alexander-Universität, Erlangen-Nürnberg
Deadline for applications: January 10th, 2021
Starting at: Expected at March 2021
In the broad area of Applied Mathematics, the Chair develops and applies methods of Analysis, Computational Mathematics and Data Sciences to model, understand and control the dynamics of various phenomena arising in the interphase of Mathematics with Engineering, Physics, Biology and Social Sciences.
We welcome applications by young and highly motivated scientists to contribute to this exciting joint Alexander von Humboldt-FAU effort. Possible research projects include but are not limited to:
- Analysis of Partial Differential Equations (PDE)
- The interplay between Data Sciences, numerics of PDE and Control Systems
- Control of diffusion models arising in Biology and Social Sciences
- Modelling and control of multi-agent systems
- Hyperbolic models arising in traffic flow and energy transport
- Waves in networks and Markov chains
- Fractional PDE
- Optimal design in Material Sciences
- Micro-macro limit processes
- The interplay between discrete and continuous modelling in design and control
- The emergence of turnpike phenomena in long-time horizons
- Inversion and parameter identification
- Recommendation systems
- Development of new computation tools and software
The Chair contributes to the development of a new Center of Research at FAU, in the broad area of “Mathematics of Data”, conceived as a highly visible interdisciplinary research site, an incubator for future collaborative research grants and a turntable for the key research priorities of FAU. The recruited candidates will have the added opportunity to participate in this challenging endeavour.
- The candidate will integrate the Chair of Applied Analysis – Alexander von Humboldt Professorship led by E. Zuazua at FAU-Erlangen
- A lively research environment
- Close collaboration within a multidisciplinary team
- Salary according German pay scale: E13 (Postdoc 100% time, PhD 75% time)
FAU is a member of “The Family in Higher Education Institutions” best practice club and also aims to increase the number of women in scientific positions. Female candidates are therefore particularly encouraged to apply. In case of equal qualifications, candidates with disabilities will take precedence.
We look for excellent candidates with expertise in the areas of applied mathematics, PDE analysis, control theory, numerical analysis, data sciences and computational mathematics who enjoy interdisciplinary work.
Submit your application (by email)
Subject: PhD and Postdoc position at CAA-AvH
Attachment: Single pdf file* including a cover/motivation letter, CV, list of publications, statement of research and two or three names of experts for reference
*All documents must be in English or German.
|| More information about this position by email to: email@example.com, Att. Prof. Enrique Zuazua
For more detailed information about the Chair, please visit Chair of Applied Analysis – Alexander von Humboldt Professorship