Engineering research at NYU Abu Dhabi crosses the boundaries of traditional engineering disciplines and encompasses broad interdisciplinary areas that embody key characteristics of our age. The faculty are involved in new and emerging technological fields, such as bioengineering, nanotechnology, robotics, energy-efficient materials, and cybersecurity.
In collaboration with the New York University Tandon School of Engineering, the Engineering Division at New York University Abu Dhabi offers Global PhD Student Fellowships in Biomedical Engineering; Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering; Civil Engineering; Electrical and Computer Engineering; Mechanical Engineering; Transportation Planning and Engineering.
The main research topics in each major are as follows:
- Micro- and Nanobiotechnology
- Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering
- Synthetic Biology
- Materials Chemistry
- Water Management and Desalination
- Construction and Project Management
- Innovative Structures
- Materials Science
- Resilience and Sustainability
- Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering
Computer Science and Engineering
- Artificial Intelligence
- Computer Vision
- Machine Learning
- Energy, Water, and Environment
- 3D Printing
Transportation Planning and Engineering
- Multimodal Transportation Systems
- Operations Research and Logistics
- Smart Cities
- Traffic Flow Theory
- Transportation Infrastructure Management
Designed for exceptional students from around the world who want to engage in cutting-edge scholarship, NYUAD Global PhD students undertake doctorate research with NYUAD faculty and utilize NYUAD’s state-of-the-art resources. Each of our programs offers a unique opportunity for students to engage in a global setting, where students will begin their coursework in New York and complete their research in Abu Dhabi. This allows each cohort to add to a global perspective, connect with leading researchers in their field, and provides the foundation for successful careers in academe, industry and government.
Our Fellowships provide competitive compensation packages covering tuition costs, housing in Abu Dhabi and a monthly stipend as well as additional support for relocation and research start-up costs. All fellows enjoy the same privileges and responsibilities as all NYU PhD students and obtain a New York University degree upon graduation.
Some of the key features of the Fellowship are:
- Tuition, and fees provided throughout the program
- A generous and competitive annual stipend
- Free housing provided while you are located in Abu Dhabi
- An additional stipend towards living expenses during the first year in New York
- All travel costs associated with necessary program travel between campuses
- One-time stipends for relocation and research start-up costs
- International health insurance
- School fees for children while in the UAE
- Competitive travel grants for research and conferences
- Access to career counseling and development services at both NYUAD and NYUNY campuses
For more information about the Fellowship, please contact:
To apply for your PhD program of interest, please use NYU Tandon website.
Our applicant pool is highly competitive and admission for each program is determined by faculty in both Abu Dhabi and New York. Students applying for the program will need to submit:
- An online application
- TOEFL or IELTS score
- Statement of purpose
- Academic references
- University transcripts
This year the GRE test score is waived.
Applications are due by December 1th, 2020. The Global PhD Program currently offers admission for the Fall semester 2021.