ASSISTANT PROFESSOR/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR- MEDIA PRODUCTION
DEPARTMENT: School of Film and Television Arts
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Media Production /Post production /Special Effects /Editing /Scriptwriting /Aesthetics
POSITION TITLE: Assistant/Associate Professor depending on qualifications and experience
LOCATION: Suzhou Industrial park campus
SALARY: The salary ranges for the Assistant Professor and Associate Professor positions are as follows:
Assistant professor: 27,929-30,762RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 34,219RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
Associate Professor: 34,783-37,469RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 41,063RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: November 25, 2020
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: December 25, 2020
JOB ID: 1822
CONTRACT TYPE: Full-time
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has over 15,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP), well connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
Brief summary of the department:
The School of Film and Television Arts was built on the departmental strengths in communication and culture. With the addition of a film school and training in practical filmmaking and the creative arts, the School is developing a mix of practice, research, creativity and industry engagement with the film, television and creative industry sectors in China and internationally. The School currently offers programmes in Digital Media Arts, TV Production and Filmmaking at UG level. Future plans include the establishment of postgraduate and PhD programmes as well.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Coordinate and deliver modules across a range of digital media arts, television production, and filmmaking subject areas
- Prepare content and lesson plans for module delivery
- Curriculum development
- Manage the media production output of projects within the School, both within the curriculum and in extra-curricular activity approved by the School
- Supervise and/or advise on creative projects
- Contribute to the further development of the School’s programmes
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES: The successful applicant will have industry experience directly related to Film and Video Production. He/ she will be able to demonstrate media and film related theories and practical understanding within scriptwriting, cinematography, creative editing, directing, sound recording and mixing, and specialized in Post-Production. The candidate will also be a team player.
- MFA Degree in filmmaking or media production with at least 5-year experiences in the film, television or video industries. Ph.D. degree holder is preferred.
- Teaching experience within a university, college or film school environment
- Proficient working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, Premier, AVID, DaVinci Resolve and/or Baselight. More skills are preferred, such as After Effect, Maya, etc.
- The ability to teach creative approaches to filmmaking and storytelling with an emphasis on short film production
- Knowledge of video compressions and post-production workflow and management
- Knowledge of video codecs
- Highly developed organisational skills: The ability to anticipate events, identify desirable outcomes and achieve goals within a specified timeframe.
- High level of verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and work cooperatively in the School.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 55 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please submit your applications online
Applications must be submitted in a single PDF file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter specifying your suitability for the role
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact details for three references (at least a reference from current or most recent employer. Preferably current employer *and* last employer)
Informal enquiries maybe addressed to the Dean at firstname.lastname@example.org.Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.
If you are unable to apply on-line please contact the Human Resource Office.
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.